[mythtv-users] Rebuilding a FE/BE system (the stupid way)

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 15:15:08 UTC 2013

One thing I always do before re-installing the OS is use the "dump" program
to backup my data partitions to my recordings RAID array or another system.
 I run something like this:

service mythbackend stop
service mysqld stop
dump -0 -j -f /path/to/other-disk/root-dump.bz /
dump -0 -j -f /path/to/other-disk/var-dump.bz /var
dump -0 -j -f /path/to/other-disk/var-lib-mysql-dump.bz /var/lib/mysql (if
it's a separate partition from /var)

I then shutdown, unplug my "other disk" and reinstall the OS.  Once the OS
is reinstalled, I can mount the other disk and use "restore -if
/path/to/other-disk/root-dump.bz" to individually select which files I want
to restore.  It's very straight-forward.  I did this on my front-ends
before wiping CentOS and installing Fedora 17 as well.  This way I could
restore lirc configs, /etc/modprobe.d files, etc.

/Brian/