[mythtv-users] restricting mythpreviewgen?

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 17:07:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 1/22/2013 11:47, Alex Williamson wrote:
>>
>> The master backend is a virtual machine on a rather modest file
>> server.  I haven't been thrilled with the reliability or impact on
>> overall system performance of using usb passthrough to connect the
>> hdpvr directly to the master, thus I'm trying to farm out the job to a
>> very low power, diskless slave.
>

> Why not ditch the virtual machine and run mythbackend directly on the file
> server?

Because I want different, isolated environments on a consolidated
system.  Isn't that why people generally use virtualization?  For the
server as a whole, I value stability, performance, and support, so the
host runs RHEL6.  For mythtv, I want an integrated environment that I
can deploy easily on frontend and backend, so I use mythbuntu.  I
certainly don't want to reboot my main server every time mythtv does
something weird and needs a reboot and I don't want to have a
dedicated, power hungry master backend.  I've been attempting to avoid
a dedicated slave, but the frustration and overall performance impact
is justifying the meager power consumption of a t5500 thin client
(5.5W) acting as an intermediary.  I'd consider something like a
raspberry pi for this job too, but I had the t5500 on hand and don't
need to worry about arm support.  Thanks,

Alex