[mythtv-users] restricting mythpreviewgen?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jan 22 18:19:05 UTC 2013

On 1/22/2013 12:38, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:
>>>On 1/22/2013 12:07, Alex Williamson wrote:
>>>
>>>Because I want different, isolated environments on a consolidated
>>>system.
>
>>Why not use chroot, or something like LXC?  Both offer isolated
>>environments, allowing you to manage multiple system images without risk of
>>interference from conflicting packages.
>
>hdpvr requires kernel modules, including the ir module from the
>staging tree.  That means a container doesn't really improve my
>overall system uptime if I still have to reboot the host for a driver
>glitch.

It's a kernel module. You unload the old one and load the new one in
place. No reboot is needed.

>>> Isn't that why people generally use virtualization?
>>
>>No. They use virtualization because they need to run multiple separate
>>operating systems (like Linux and Windows), are doing development and can't
>>risk a kernel panic bringing down the whole thing, or can't risk one hacked
>>server compromising the whole system.
>
> Look, I'm pretty familiar with virtualization and I'm not looking for
> an argument about why I've chosen this or that.

You chose to use a system architecture that is the fundamental cause to
a series of compounding issues. I'm merely trying to get you to
reconsider your reasons for choosing full machine virtualization and the
issues it is causing, rather than continue to stack on workarounds as
you meet them.

> I can restrict other jobs to not run on this slave, can or can I not
>  restrict mythpreviewgen?

Mythpreviewgen is not a job that runs through the jobqueue, and thus
cannot be restricted to a single host in the manner that the other tasks
can. It is always run by the backend that owns that recording. Assuming
your slave backend has no storage of its own, and records to shared
storage on your file server/master backend, your only real option is to
have something run after recording is finished to change ownership of
that recording to the master backend.