[mythtv-users] Recent DVD problems with video and audio drops

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 04:30:09 UTC 2013

Neil Salstrom <salstrom at gmail.com> wrote on Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 07:17:48PM -0800:
> Again, this only happens with DVD's and not with .mkvs of the main feature...

I don't have stuttering problems with MKVs I create from DVDs using
makemkv, either, but I do have another problem that I suspect is
related to the frame rate or 3:2 pulldown. When I play the MKV in
Myth, the time displayed in the OSD moves slower than real time. For
example, if I start a movie and let it play for 5 minutes (judging by
a stopwatch), the Myth OSD shows that only 4 minutes have elapsed. I
don't think it's a coincidence that 4/5 = 23.976/29.97.

Also, when I view the playback data while the video is playing, the
VIDEOFRAMERATE (displayed by the Mythbuntu theme in the Video field)
is 29.97, yet the FRAMERATE (displayed in the FPS field) hovers around
24. Mediainfo reports that the video's frame rate is 29.97.

Do your MKVs exhibit this behavior as well? Perhaps this might provide
some clue for your other issues.