[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 12.10 locks up when InfiniTV RTP used?

Frank Feuerbacher fbacher at brisbin.net
Fri Jan 25 03:14:03 UTC 2013

On 13-01-24 05:24 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Frank Feuerbacher <fbacher at brisbin.net> wrote:
>> I have been struggling to get my InfiniTV PCI-e to work as a local RTP
>> client for mythTV 0.26. I am configuring it as a bridged network. I can
>> access the InfiniTV web page (192.168.1.112) but whenever I try to watch any
>> program via mythTV the whole system locks up, requiring a hard reboot.
>> Firewall is disabled. What was real entertaining was rebooting during a time
>> when I had a program scheduled for recording. I finally had to give up until
>> a time when it was not scheduled to record something. I have now disabled
>> mythtv on startup.
>>
>> Using mplayer with:
>>
>> mplayer -cache 8192 /dev/ceton/ctn91xx_mpeg0_0
>>
>> works. I have not yet figured out how to use mplayer or vlc to read from the
>> rtp url (I may have to get the tuner in the "play" state before I can read
>> using rtp).
>>
>> My plan of attack is to try to us vlc/mplayer using rtp. If that fails, I'll
>> un-bridge the networks, moving the ctn0 device back to it's default
>> address/subnet.
>>
>> Any suggestions or observations are appreciated.
>>
>> Frank
>>

> First off, did you go into mythtv-setup and change the IP address to
> 192.168.1.112?
>
> You specifically mention that it locks up when using RTP. Have you
> tried configuring myth using the /dev entry rather than RTP, and does
> that work?
>
> And how did you accomplish bridging? I remember when I was first
> learning to setup bridging, I managed to find a way to do it where the
> ceton was bridged to outside computers but was inaccessible locally
> (don't ask how I did it...I have no clue). Perhaps you did something
> similar?
>
> To test it, ssh into your myth system. Then use the nc or netcat program:
> nc 192.168.1.112 80
>
> When you start it you will get a blank prompt. Send the following:
>
> GET /get_var.json?i=0&s=diag&v=Host_IP_Address
>
> and press enter. You should get back something like this:
>
> 1c
> { "result": "192.168.1.112" }
> 0

Note, the InfiniTV and mythTV (front and back) are running on the same
machine.

I tried many things. I finally reset the InfinTV back to it's default
192.168.200.1
I then set /etc/network/interfaces with:

auto ctn0
iface ctn0 inet static
     address 192.168.200.2
     network 192.168.200.0
     netmask 255.255.255.0

And commented out anything to do with the bridge (won't work in this
case anyway).

I changed mythtv to point to 192.168.200.1.

Again, as soon as I tried to actually watch tv from this card HARD CRASH
requiring hard boot. Everything was frozen.

Last, I changed over to not use RTP but to go through the /dev/ctn91xx_*
devices. That works flawlessly.

I want to prove whether the problem is mythtv or Ubuntu. I need a means
other than mythtv to play or capture the video from the InfiniTV using
RTP. Ceton has a python client download
(http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/linux_drivers/), but I have not
yet been able to get it to work. I'll send a note to Ceton about this.

For now, I'll use the non-RTP method for a few days. This stuff has made
me tired.

Frank