[mythtv-users] Recommendation for SSD boot drive

David Knight dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Jan 25 13:45:15 UTC 2013

On Fri, January 25, 2013 2:51 am, Joey Morris wrote:
> If fast boot is your primary concern, then I second Raymond's
> suggestion of trying to get suspend/resume to work. I have an SSD in
> one of my frontends, but I still suspend/resume instead of turning off
> and on. From the moment I press the power button on my remote, the
> system wakes from S3 and displays the menu in about 3 seconds (and not
> the home menu, but the menu I was on when I suspended). After powering
> on by pressing the power button on the case, it takes about 20-25
> seconds to display the home menu.
>
> As Raymond also indicated, the catch is being able to get
> suspend/resume working. Of the three frontends I've used, I got the
> first one working with a few hours of research and trial and error, I
> got the second one working with a little more effort than the first,
> and I haven't gotten the third one working yet (an upgrade of the
> first one, whose motherboard died).

I also suspend / resume instead of shutdown, however my resume takes
almost same amount of time as startup from cold. This is mainly because I
have to unload the DVB drivers for my TV cards as they did not use to
behave after being suspended. Are you using DVB devices and if so have you
noticed any issues with hibernate / suspend.

I will be looking at this again shortly as last time I tested would have
been several revisions of Fedora / Kernel / Mythtv ago - maybe 5 years ago
even - thats how old my Mythtv architecture is - although it is now
running Fedora 16 / Mythtv 0.26.