[mythtv-users] Recent DVD problems with video and audio drops

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 15:42:00 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Neil Salstrom <salstrom at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm... I've not noticed that but I'll check.
>
> Originally I thought it was the DVD of Inception that was the problem
> but we've now discovered all DVD's are showing the problem as well.

A solution has been found!

I'm a bit stumped as well as amazed as to the cause.  First, I'd like
to thank Richard for going above and beyond to try to figure out what
is going on.  Great work on his part for helping with the DVD side of
things.

Oddly enough, the cause was my 3.7.3 kernel.  Why it only affected
DVD's playing in Mythtv I have no clue.  Both VLC and xine would play
with no problems at all.  Only mythtv could reproduce the problem.
I'm not sure if it's 3.7.3 specifically or the whole 3.7 line but
moving back to my previous 3.6.7 kernel (as well as the stock Mint
kernel) resulted in flawless playback.  Watching the debugging output
during playback showed no audio buffer underruns or waiting for video
buffers.

I had updated to 3.7 a while ago but I guess we never watched a DVD
until recently.  I never correlated the kernel version to the playback
issue.  Last night I reverted back to a Mythtv version from about 1.5
months ago when I knew there were no problems.  The playback had
issues.  Once that happened I realized something else was going on.
Out of desperation I booted to the stock 3.2.0 kernel and everything
was fine.

Obviously there is a glitch somewhere but I have no ides where the
fault lies considering it's only Mythtv that was subject to the kernel
based problem.  At any rate, it is working again.  So.... I guess be
careful if you're moving to the 3.7.x kernel!  You may have some of
the same issues I did!

Neil