[mythtv-users] Recent DVD problems with video and audio drops

Richard peper03 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 19:36:15 UTC 2013

On 25/01/13 16:42, Neil Salstrom wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Neil Salstrom <salstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hmm... I've not noticed that but I'll check.
>>
>> Originally I thought it was the DVD of Inception that was the problem
>> but we've now discovered all DVD's are showing the problem as well.
>
> A solution has been found!
>
> I'm a bit stumped as well as amazed as to the cause.  First, I'd like
> to thank Richard for going above and beyond to try to figure out what
> is going on.  Great work on his part for helping with the DVD side of
> things.
>
> Oddly enough, the cause was my 3.7.3 kernel.  Why it only affected
> DVD's playing in Mythtv I have no clue.  Both VLC and xine would play
> with no problems at all.  Only mythtv could reproduce the problem.
> I'm not sure if it's 3.7.3 specifically or the whole 3.7 line but
> moving back to my previous 3.6.7 kernel (as well as the stock Mint
> kernel) resulted in flawless playback.  Watching the debugging output
> during playback showed no audio buffer underruns or waiting for video
> buffers.

Hi Neil,

Great!  I'm really pleased you've got it sorted out as I was pretty much
stumped in the end.

It's odd that not only did it only affect Myth, but that it only
affected DVD playback.  Leaving aside DVD-specific features like menus
and handling the navigation, actually playing the video and audio
streams is handled by the same code that plays back other video sources.
  There are a few bits and pieces here and there that do some special
handling for certain aspects of DVD playback but nothing I can think of
off the top of my head that would be sensitive to something in the
kernel.  Obviously there is, but I don't know what!

Anyway, at least you've found another thing for someone to try if they
get similar problems!

Richard.