[mythtv-users] Green boxes on one DVD's playback

Richard peper03 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 20:54:29 UTC 2013

On 25/01/13 20:06, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Neil Salstrom <salstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Picked up two series DVDs the other day. One played flawlessly on my
>>> Mythbox. The other had these chunky green squares flashing on the
>>> bottom right of the screen. Though I could eventually get to the menu,
>>> the episodes were all scrambled up.
>>>
>>> This is the first time I've encountered an unwatchable DVD. Doesn't
>>> appear scratched at all. Any ideas?
>
>> Are you using VDPAU?  I recently encountered a DVD that showed the
>> same issue.  The problem went away when I switched to an OpenGL
>> playback method.  I saw it both inside and outside Mythtv.  I've
>> submitted a bug report and sample to Nvidia but have not heard back.
>
> Yes, using VDPAU. Bizarre though that it's the first time I've seen
> this in just under two years. Is it just that the DVD's written
> differently or something?

I don't think it's a DVD issue.  I happen to have a similar DVD that has
this issue on the intro - green blocks at the bottom, mostly no picture
apart from the occasional flash of a corrupted (but just recognisable)
interlaced frame.

I extracted the video to a separate video file an MythVideo has the same
issues so it doesn't look like it's a DVD issue.

I narrowed it down on my system to the VDPAU decoder.  If I change that
to 'standard' and leave the VDPAU enabled as the renderer, it plays fine.

mplayer and vlc play it fine too, but I don't know how they're decoding
video.

I've created Myth ticket #11377 for this problem.

This is the first and only time I've ever seen this too.

> On a separate note: besides just testing them myself, is there
> anything that will will benchmark a setup and say your best best for
> this card is this playback profile and this deinterlacer?

Not that I'm aware of.  For VDPAU on Myth, there's some information on
the wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU) that has some
recommendations and user reports but quite a bit of it looks a bit old
so I don't know whether everything is still relevant.

Usually it's just a case of 'suck it and see'.

Richard.