[mythtv-users] Lirc vs IR-Keytable

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 12:41:36 UTC 2013

David Engel wrote:
>> 2. Most of my adjustments were changing system keys to MythTV recognized
>> keycodes, for example KEY_PAUSE to KEY_P.   If IR-Keytable is the standard
>> going forward, can MythTV be configured to understand standard media keys?
>>    This seems like a no brainer, and would allow much simpler setup.   Did
>> I miss an available setting?
>
>No.  In short, X-windows can't pass some of the keys to MythTV.  See
>the list archives for more details.

Specifically, look for the thread "Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)" where it was done to death.

In short, the standard kernel input module generates input codes which exceeed a single byte. X11 doesn't handle these codes, hence they never arrive at MythFrontend. The "best" solution is for X11 to be updated to handle extended codes - but that's not likely to happen "real soon" I suspect.

So you need to remap your input table to only use 1 byte codes, and configure Myth to use them. Or you can map remote events to standard keys (such as "Pause key" to Key P") and use the standard Myth settings. I can't remember which keys are single byte and which are multi-byte codes. I did do a little bit of fiddling and got my remote to "can live with it" but didn't have time to go into a bit more depth.
IIRC you can find a list of the key names supported in a kernel module source file.