[mythtv-users] mythcommflag vs mythtranscode for videos

Dave Hill myth at davidrhill.com
Tue Jan 29 15:54:35 UTC 2013

On 1/7/2013 10:33 AM, Dave Hill wrote:
> On 1/4/2013 1:39 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Dave Hill <myth at davidrhill.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Running mythbuntu 12.04 / mythtv 0.26, I have been finding that
>>> mythcommflag
>>> --rebuild --video does not seem to be updating the filemarkup table.

Could someone enlighten me as to the difference between these two commands?
- mythcommflag --rebuild --video <relative path>/<filename>
- mythtranscode  --buildindex --video --infile <path>/<filename>

I thought I had read somewhere that they were equivalent, but I continue
to see that mythcommflag doesn't seem to update the filemarkup table
with any entries containing the filename in question.  After running it,
I have dumped out the entire table grepping for the base filename and
found 0 entries.  However, after running mythtranscode, I see 500+
entries in the filemarkup table for the file that was processed.

I'm running 2:0.26.0+fixes.20130126.14aa707-0ubuntu0mythbuntu1 and I
have lately been seeing issues seeking and/or saving bookmarks with SOME
of these files that had their seek tables built with mythtranscode.  The
behavior I'm seeing is consistent with
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11308 -- that suggests running
mythcommflag on the files in question. This appears to work to resolve
the seeking issues.

I've also found that videos that had their seek tables built with
mythtranscode (the ones that work) seem to seek "choppily" -- ie when I
Jump Ahead, the picture is very pixelated for a second or two -- where
if they were processed with mythcommflag, the seeking works fine.

Any information about how this works would be appreciated but I guess my
main question is -- is mythcommflag doing its work in a different db
table?  Is there some way I can verify that a seek table was generated
after the mythcommflag --rebuild operation?

Thanks very much,
Dave Hill