[mythtv-users] Can't connect to myth converg and can't dpkg-configure

John Brown jb2904 at johnbrown.com.au
Thu Jan 31 03:00:55 UTC 2013

My MythTV stopped working. when I launch the front end the setup page comes up immediately asking me to select my country etc. When I enter that it immediately restarts the frontend and takes me through the setup process again, endlessly. If I try to run the backend I get a message telling me it can't connect to the database.

I did reconfigure the network the other day, but the mythTV frontend and backend are on the one box and configured to localhost, so I can't see how changing the IP address of that computer could have caused a problem. The only thing I can think of is that managed  to reconfigure 'localhost' somehow? Regardless ,if I enter the new IP address of the computer in the setup the problem remains unchanged.

The usual solution to this would be: sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database and sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common

However, when I do that it also gets in loop of repeated asking for the IP address of the host, the administrative user for the data and the password. After several attempts it closes and I am left with:

john at qpc-Z68X-UD3H-B3:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
[sudo] password for john:
Failed to connect to database (incorrect admin password)
ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.29.80' (111)
ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.29.80' (111)
ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.29.80' (111)
ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.29.80' (111)
ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.29.80' (111)
Failed to create or modify database (incorrect admin username/password?)
Try:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database

This occurs regardless of which user/password I use in mysql.

I'd appreciate any clues on what I should do next, or even just where I should look next.

Thanks,

John