[mythtv-users] Full screen

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Jul 2 08:46:09 UTC 2013

On 02/07/2013 03:41, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/30/2013 05:01 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> I mostly run the frontend in a window on my monitor, DISPLAY=:0.0
>>
>> This puts it onto the TV.  Fedora, 0.26-fixes, but it may still be
>> usable.
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> # Run MythTV front end on display 1
>> # For Panasonic TX-L32E5B HDMI1 via DVI-I adapter
>> # This is for use if Overscan is OFF
>> #
>> # It seems that that requires _both_
>> #  that the TV overscan is OFF
>> #  and that the TV aspect ratio is set to [16:9]
>> #  If aspect ratio is AUTO it seems that Overscan is ON
>> #
>> #
>> export DISPLAY=:0.1
>> mythfrontend --geometry 1920x1080+0+0
>
> There's absolutely no reason to always run mythfrontend with a geometry
> override.  Instead, just set mythfrontend's settings to specify a size
> of 1920x1080 (or 0x0 if running on a 1920x1080 monitor/if you want full
> screen) with an X & Y offset of 0.
>
> In other words, you should set the settings to tell MythTV what you want
> rather than use a settings override on every start of MythTV.

That doesn't seem to work for me on an opensuse 12.3 set up - not
consistently - or at least it didn't when I was running my UI at
1280x720, displaying on a 1920x1080 TV. Without providing
"-geometry 1280x720, I'd intermittently get just the top left
1280x720 area of a 1920x1080 display. It was as though one part
of Myth successfully set the 720 screen mode, but another part
read back the old 1080 mode. It wasn't just that one system:
I've had that on several set ups. I can quite believe that this
is due to a bugged component on my system, perhaps nvidia's
display drivers, but I think it may be a fairly common problem.

Cheers,
	Paul.