[mythtv-users] help: i can't record tv after upgrade to ubuntu-13.04/mythtv-0.26

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Jul 2 16:45:18 UTC 2013

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 15:44:03 -0700, you wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM, <mythtv at raf.org> wrote:
>
>> Thomas Mashos wrote:
[snip]
>Let me be absolutely clear, running an LTS version of Ubuntu does not mean
>it is out of date. Further, it makes zero sense to upgrade something as
>significant as the OS purely because there is a new version of Ubuntu
>available (specifically when talking about appliance devices like MythTV
>boxes). There is a reason that the Mythbuntu team only provides LTS
>releases of Mythbuntu every 2 years and provides MythTV updates via the
>MythTV updates repo for that LTS release. That reason is because for some
>strange reason, people like to take a perfectly fine MythTV appliance, and
>upgrade it for no other reason than a new Ubuntu version is out. For a
>MythTV system, a new Ubuntu version offers nothing over an LTS release of
>Mythbuntu. I can't think of a single reason that I would recommend
>installing a non-LTS version of Ubuntu/Mythbuntu for a MythTV install.

There is one compelling reason that I can think of for upgrading the
Ubuntu version, and that is to get a later version of the kernel with
support for devices (such as new tuners) that is not present in older
kernels.  If a kernel is released with proper support for Nvidia
Optimus GPUs, then I will certainly be wanting to install that on my
laptop so I can use MythTV with VDPAU on my Nvidia GPU instead of
having to use the Intel GPU.

Some people also use their general purpose Linux box as their MythTV
box, so they may well need to upgrade for some non-MythTV purpose.

[snip]