[mythtv-users] MythTV commercial removal

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 2 19:36:19 UTC 2013

On 07/02/2013 02:14 PM, George Nassas wrote:
> On 2013-07-02, at 1:31 PM, Jon Heizer wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>
>>     On 7/2/2013 12:54 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
>>

>>         Is there a script for commercials removal. I would like
>>         transcode and remove commercial so I can save movies.
>>

>>     That's what mythtranscode is for.
>>
>> And http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Lossless_Cut
>
> Translating into English as it’s commonly spoken: myth has an editing
> feature where you can mark sections of a recording to be cut out and
> then pass the “cutlist" to a program which does the actual cutting.
> The mythtranscode program does this for mpeg2 material while the one
> described at the link tries to do it for other formats (ie, h.264) and
> probably also mpeg2.
>
> As part of the recording process myth tries to identify commercials.
> The accuracy depends on where you are in the world, the channel you’re
> recording, and the program. Sometimes it’s so good it’s spooky while
> other times it’s totally out to lunch. In any case you can begin an
> editing session by pulling in myth’s ideas of where commercials begin
> and end and adjusting from there.
>
> I believe editing is covered in the online documentation so you can
> start by reviewing that and coming back here if/when you get lost.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Editing_Recordings

And, FWIW, even though commercial detection is remarkably accurate where
I live (in the US), I find it's actually easier to edit *without*
importing the commercial skip list because I'll have to check every
detected commercial start and stop location and likely "nudge" it a bit
as well as skipping through the rest to make sure there's nothing missed
(or accidentally included) in the skip list. And, since adding new cuts
is the easiest thing you can do when editing (much easier than moving
existing cuts), importing the skip list actually slows down the process
significantly.

(And, "soon" it will be even easier to edit--while using the information
in the skip list--when I fix up the navigation in editing.)

Mike