[mythtv-users] OT: Virtualization

ajp at cantabrian.co.nz ajp at cantabrian.co.nz
Thu Jul 4 06:15:02 UTC 2013

>> Hi all, my boot/root drive is nearly the end of its life.  Looks like
>> I will need to replace the drive and reinstall the OS on it.

>Do you really have to reinstall? Won't a copy of the OS drive work fine?

>> Don't worry my data
>> drives and db files were relocated to a good drive, so my
>> recordings/db will survive the transition.  My question is this, would
>> it be worth it to think about visualizing my mythbackend server using
>> xen, kvm or some of the other virtualization solutions out there?  My
>> tuners are the HD homeruns, so I don't need to muck around with
>> specialized linux drivers.  I am worried about performance, especially
>> the HD playback performance using mythfrontend.  I also thought about
>> this just adding complication to the server, so I am not convinced it
>> is worth it to try to setup a virtualized environment, also I never
played with virtualization before.  Any thoughts?

>What would you be gaining from the virtulization?

>John

For my 2c I think virtualizing is a great idea and using homeruns and VMware
or similar is great.

I have used ESXi boxes for years at work and home but don't have any
homeruns but certainly that is where I want to do. It's easy to back-up
completely. With Myth upgrades it should be great, simply backup the VM and
try an upgrade and if it doesn't work try again quickly and easily. In a
perfect world I would have my data on a nice fast RAID NAS box.

Apart from using the cloud, which doesn't apply here, virtualization makes
life so much easier.

But yes I would be interested to know if there are any downsides.

Tony

-----
No virus found in this message.