[mythtv-users] OT: Virtualization

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Jul 4 19:23:56 UTC 2013

On 7/4/2013 2:07 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
> I believe we all can agree that virtualisation is great for development
> and testing. We can test newer version of mythtv without messing up our
> main box.

I can easily spawn a new jail (paravirtualization) with its own
filesystem and IP address to work on development. I actually do have
several of these set up for use with various branches. Since all I'm
doing is running MythTV in an isolated memory space, it takes about two
seconds to start one up. My master backend sits in another jail, and
should the need arise, I can shut it down, roll back to a previous
snapshot, and bring it back up, all in about ten seconds.

There is merit to isolation. There is merit to consolidation. However
both of these can be accomplished without a full virtual machine.