[mythtv-users] From cable to fiber (TDS / Mediaroom)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 21:05:12 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
> I currently have Charter cable, using an HDHR (QAM) and HDHR Prime w/
> CableCard; unfortunately between internet and basic cable I am paying over
> $150/mo.
>
> TDS is currently laying fiber in my neighborhood and from what I understand,
> I could get "faster" internet and comparable TV lineup for under $100 with
> their FTTH service.

btw, it is not unheard of for a MSO to lower their prices to a competitive
level when alternatives become available(*).  When TDS is available, call
Charter and ask if they will lower their charges (perhaps "for a year",
and then after the year, call again) to have you remain a customer.  If
Charter really wants to remain a viable option, they will have to be
competitive on rates (or have better offerings).

Gary

(*) However, it is also not unheard of that after a new MSO enters
the market, offers "introductory rates" to get people to switch,
they then raise the price to the "market standard".