[mythtv-users] From cable to fiber (TDS / Mediaroom)

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jul 8 22:23:37 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Joseph Fry" <joe at thefrys.com>

> When they first started talking about IPTV, I always envisioned that the
> whole purpose was to make television more accessible, to make more people
> watch in more places.

You silly, silly boy.  :-)

The purpose of DRM of any sort on any media is now, and has forever
been, to make it possible for the rightsholder to charge you a separate
feed for every single viewing you make of it, to the extent that you will
tolerate this without burning their office buildings to the ground.

There has been pushback (though not enough); a temporary accommodation has
been reached.  But the ever onward march of technology will continue
to make it easier -- as this thread demonstrates -- for them to pinch
us ever harder and harder... and eventually the pushback will be big, and
theatrical, if not biblical.

The issue is so fundamental and so pervasive that I have entertained
thoughts that it might end up being the driver of the Second American
Revolution.  There is only so far you can push Americans, and corporations
are *easily* stupid enough to not know when to stop.

Cheers
-- jra