[mythtv-users] MY/IR blaster

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 21:16:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2013-07-08, at 11:20 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>
>>  So is the My blaster different than the IR blaster? I purchased the IR
>> blaster. What is the simplest course from here?
>>

>> The MyBlaster was a product available around 2004-2005 about the size of
>> a fist with half dark translucent plastic & half opaque plastic typically
>> with a serial connection. I doubt you have one but if you do look at
>> sourceforge.net/projects/myblaster.
>>
>> First step would be to figure out what you have. “IR blaster” is a pretty
>> generic term so it’s like you’re saying “I have the food, how do I prepare
>> it.”
>>
>> How do you connect this blaster to your computer? For a USB based device
>> you can lsusb to get a brand name and go from there. For a device that
>> attaches to a tuner card lirc has a couple of drivers so the brand is
>> important.
>>
>> With the device type in hand you edit one of the lirc config files to
>> tell it which driver to use to talk to the blaster. You also have to edit a
>> second config file to tell it what sort of IR codes you want to send, the
>> STB name is required here. There is probably more detailed information on
>> the wiki, I haven’t checked, but the overall is: tell lirc how to talk to
>> the device, tell lirc what to send, use “irsend” to transmit the actual
>> codes.
>>
>> - George
>>

> I have the RS232 IR Blaster, serial port. Thanks George, you have given me
> a good starting point, I'll be jumping in both feet in the nest few days,
> ciao for now.
>
> Daryl   ps Thank God my wife knows how to prepare the food!

Pss, my bad; Thanks too to Ryan,

And as I take my first leap I'm noticing that the fifth step of these
assumed pre-existing conditions does not apply. I currently control mythtv
with keyboard and mouse through extension USB cables.

you have a MythTV system built from KnoppMyth R4 or a similarly configured
MythTV system.
you know enough about Linux to do basic configuration, compilation,
installation, and troubleshooting.
you know enough about electronics to solder three discrete components and a
connector onto a pair of wires.
you have an available serial port on your MythTV box (i.e. COM1 or COM2 is
unused).
you have LIRC currently running as part of your MythTV setup (i.e. for a
PVR-x50 remote) and you don't want to break it.
you want MythTV to be able to change channels on a LIRC-supported receiver
(e.g. DISH) via a simple IR LED transmitter.

Is there then a simpler configuration, or different "how-to" than the one
found at the link below?
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/IR-BLASTER-HOWTO.html

Daryl