[mythtv-users] Small backend server with IPMI (remote virtual console access)?

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 16:21:25 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:

> 2013/7/17 Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>:
> > On 7/16/2013 4:23 PM, Tom Harris wrote:
> >>
> >> If I had virtual console access via IPMI (or iLO or similar), I could
> have
> >> quickly remedied the issue
> >

> > Modern i5s and i7s, with a supporting chipset, have an integrated
> VNC-based
> > IPKVM.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_vPro#VNC-based_KVM_remote_control
>
> Exactly, I would recommend the Intel vPro solution as well. I've been
> running my backend on a vPro-compatible system for a couple of years,
> and even though I've only needed the functionality once (to see why
> the system didn't boot after a reset), then it's still nice to have
> the functionality. My setup consists of a Intel motherboard with a
> vPro-compatible chipset and an Core i5 with integrated GPU. The
> motherboard runs a few network services which are available to the
> LAN. One of the services is a webserver which gives you a simple
> website that allows you to power on, power off or (hard) reset the
> system. Another service gives you the VNC-based KVM, which allows you
> to get low-level KVM access and - if using a compatible client -
> allows you to mount ISO files over the network and boot from them.
> That's useful if you don't want to put an optical drive in your
> server, as you're likely only going to use it to install the OS once
> when setting up the server.
>
> I've been looking into upgrading the system to a Haswell-based one, so
> I can just as well share some of my findings:
>
> Out of the new Intel 8 Series desktop chipsets for Haswell, only one
> chipset supports vPro - and that's "Intel Q87":
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1150#Original_Haswell_chipsets
>
> Intel currently only has one desktop motherboard with Q87 chipset -
> "Intel DQ87PQ" (the manual of the motherboard confirms that the
> motherboard supports vPro, including AMT/KVM):
>
> http://ark.intel.com/products/series/75550/Intel-Desktop-Boards-with-Intel-Q87-Chipset
>
> In terms of CPU, any of the Haswell Core i5 or i7 models above 45xx
> which are NOT "K" or "R" models will support vPro.
> You can see a comparison table of the CPUs here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)#Desktop_processors
>
> Even though I'm fairly sure that the above rules applies to all
> current Haswell CPUs, please check vPro compatibility of the CPU at
> http://ark.intel.com/ before buying.

Thanks for the replies.  vPro AMT looks like a good option.  One option
that looks very good to me is the new Intel NUC i5 ( DC53427HYE ).  It's
very small, but quite powerful, and states vPro support on the product
info.   Intel uses "vPro" as a brand for a lot of features, including
virtualization support, but as best I can tell from their marketing
material it does include remote management (AMT).

A quick search didn't turn up any Atom based systems with AMT.  It would be
nice to have even lower power options, as I really don't need the
processing power of the i5.