[mythtv-users] Upgrade plan

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jul 18 19:35:52 UTC 2013

On 18/07/13 18:44, Monkey Pet wrote:

> I would do the backup of the DB, backup /etc/*, backup /home/*, snapshot
> /etc/fstab, all your lvm configs. I always had success just copying over
> the entire /var/lib/mysql subdirectory over to the new install and things
> just worked assuming that your hostname stays the same.  I would also run
> badblocks when you format your drive to discover bad blocks on the drive.
>   Using the HD Homerun devices, I am so glad I don't need to muck around
> with kernel drivers.

No! Don't copy the mysql binary data files. Unless your new configuration
matches your old one *exactly* you could run into problems. Even something
simple like a patch update difference can corrupt your database.

Do like the man said and use the backup and restore scripts. They are designed
for just this purpose.

--

Mike Perkins