[mythtv-users] record at any time on channel <CHANNEL> is missing in master soon to be .27

Jay Foster jayfoster at roadrunner.com
Wed Jul 24 17:55:38 UTC 2013

On 7/24/2013 10:02 AM, thomas at mashos.com wrote:
> Message: 20
> Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 09:45:37 -0700
> From: Thomas Mashos<thomas at mashos.com>
> To:stephen at jsw.gen.nz, Discussion about MythTV
> 	<mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] record at any time on channel<CHANNEL>  is
> 	missing in master soon to be .27
>
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Stephen Worthington<
> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>  wrote:

>> >  to default to ON? It is in the advanced settings for a recording which is
>> >  normally hidden.
>> >  weekly, and I want to keep all of them. However, for that same show that is
>> >  in 'syndication' on a different channel I want to restrict the number of
>> >  episodes to a dozen or so as it is played constantly.
>> >  scheduling.
>> >
>> >  I think you may be fooling yourselves that better options exist than
>> >  "this channel" rules.  If you have good EPG like that apparently
>> >  available from Schedules Direct, then those other options appear to
>> >  exist.  But in New Zealand, our EPG is variable from just OK to bad -
>> >  there are no proper "new episode" flags (or HD flags), and the EPG
>> >  from one channel or provider to another is done differently.  So
>> >  without the option to say "this channel", just as one example, I would
>> >  wind up recording things from the Sky NZ channels that are repeats
>> >  from years ago of programs that have new series on the Freeview FTA
>> >  channels.  Now I can handle that, being a fairly sophisticated user of
>> >  MythTV - I would be able to use the new filter option.  But I will
>> >  almost certainly find it very annoying to have to use so many extra
>> >  keystrokes to do something that used to be easy, as I have to use
>> >  "this channel" on almost all series recording rules.
>> >
>> >  It sounds like I need to get a test setup of 0.27 running on one of my
>> >  systems and try it out to see just how it actually will or will not
>> >  work with our crappy EPG.
>> >
> While I agree that having crappy EPG data sucks, I must confess that it
> annoys me when people deem workarounds an acceptable solution instead of
> fighting to fix the problem. If your EPG data is crappy, you need to
> complain to your provider (or wherever the EPG data comes from for that
> particular channel in your particular locality). The "this channel" flag is
> a workaround for that particular problem (bad guide data). I can't think of
> a valid reason to use it under normal circumstances.
>
> IIRC, moving the "this channel" from it's own recording rule to a flag was
> done to simplify the recording rule section. I welcome simplifying these
> sections, as many areas of MythTV are too complicated for new users.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Mashos
I use the record on this channel option all of the time.  I receive
multiple channels with the same programming, and, depending on the
program, prefer one channel over another.  The this channel option is
the only way to specify on which channel I want to record a particular
program.  Please do not get rid of the 'on this channel' option.

Jay