[mythtv-users] Court rules commercial-skipping in recordings covered under Fair Use

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jul 25 00:10:34 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Tom Dexter" <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>

> I mean think about it...even if they hadn't ruled that the commercials
> were not copyrighted material of the content provider, what would the
> alternative be??...that nobody can skip ahead on any recoded
> media?...recorded shows? DVDs??...that you MUST watch all copyrighted
> content only in it's entirety, in order?

Where have you been these last 7 years, Time?  That is *exactly* what
the content industry wants, yes: they want you to pay them a fee *every
single time you watch anything on any device*.

That's the only supportable justification for the DRM we see.  It certainly
doesn't avoid "piracy" -- you can easily pull a new glass-master off the
DVD, and create bootleg copies of the disc and packaging... and the evidence
is that people do it all the time.

I have for some years now honestly wondered if the driver for the Second
American Revolution would be Congress permitting Hollywood to have every
single thing it wants; eviscerating Fair Use.  There really is only
so far you can push America.

Cheers,
-- jra