[mythtv-users] Issues Setting up HTTP Live Streaming Recorder

Solon Boomer-Jenks mfrm at boomer-jenks.net
Sat Jul 27 17:38:50 UTC 2013

I'm having difficulty getting this setup.

--I followed all the steps outlined in the wiki article.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Setting_up_HTTP_Live_Streaming_Recorder

--This resulted in the channels appearing in the program guide, but they appear light blue and I am unable to access them (selecting one will just close the program guide and return me to the last live TV channel).  If I type in the channel number (ie 301), I get the following message: "MythTV is already using all available inputs for the channel you selected. If you want to watch an in-progress recording,
select one from the playback menu. If you want to watch Live TV, cancel one of the in-progress recordings from the delete menu."  (nothing is recording other than the currently selected OTA live TV station)

--I accidentally discovered that if I kill the mythbackend daemon and restart it under my own ID  (instead of mythtv), I can access one of these channels (whichever one I pick).  However, if I then select another, it times out.  Thereafter, they all appear in light blue and inaccessible just as above.

--Based on the above discovery, I started playing with permissions.  I granted the mythtv ID access to ~/.mythtv, ~/.mythtv/tmp and ~/.mythtv/tmp/hls.  This made no difference, either when running mythbackend normally under the mythtv ID or under my ID.

I don't have a lot of crazy custom configurations going on here, so I'm at a loss as to what else I could try.  I have not found any relevant log entries.

Has anyone else run into this issue and been able to overcome it?  Any possible suggestions?