[mythtv-users] New Machine, New Versions, New Distro... advice needed...

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Sun Jul 28 12:46:44 UTC 2013

I am using Mandriva 2010.2 on an old athlon machine that is going to be
given up for a nice quad core intel machine shortly.  This is the
backend machine.

The frontend runs Mythbuntu 10.04 and has not been upgraded.

The MythTV version I am stuck at is .23.5

I was going to install 12.04 Mythbuntu on the new machine and migrate
everything over, but I think that .23.5 isn't on there...  So, do I need
to install 10.04 on there, upgrade my myth to .25 then reinstall 12.04?

Also, on my current machine, the Mandriva machine, the hostname is
defined as "localhost"... do I need to do the hostname change on this?
Should I just name the Mythbuntu machine localhost, or should I do the
database name change to a real hostname (which I'd prefer, I think, so
it is clearer in the future)..

Any advice would be great - very nervous about new OS and mythtv
versions as myth is our only way to watch tv - I don't want to ruin
anything.

Thanks in advance!
--Kris