[mythtv-users] Issues Setting up HTTP Live Streaming Recorder

Solon Boomer-Jenks mfrm at boomer-jenks.net
Sun Jul 28 16:05:20 UTC 2013

> On Sunday, 28 July 2013, Solon Boomer-Jenks wrote:
>
>>   I'm having difficulty getting this setup.
>>
>> --I followed all the steps outlined in the wiki article.http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Setting_up_HTTP_Live_Streaming_Recorder
>>

> If you did... It would work... Unfortunately, that's a fact... No two ways
> around it...

Actually I would consider it quite fortunate if I discovered a simple error that was preventing this from working. :)

>> --This resulted in the channels appearing in the program guide, but they appear light blue and I am unable to access them (selecting one will just close the program guide and return me to the last live TV channel).  If I type in the channel number (ie 301), I get the following message: "MythTV is already using all available inputs for the channel you selected. If you want to watch an in-progress recording,
>> select one from the playback menu. If you want to watch Live TV, cancel one of the in-progress recordings from the delete menu."  (nothing is recording other than the currently selected OTA live TV station)
>>

> There is no program guide or channel information provided if you followed
> the steps in the guide above. So there's no point going into the program
> guide as there's nothing in it.
I only mentioned the program guide because the channel numbers and names
do show up there-- so the channels are being added.  I realize there
isn't going to be any program data.  Unless you're saying the channels
should not even show up there, in which case I'm at a complete loss as
to what I could have done to make them appear.

> The steps required to summarise:
> Shut dhow mythbackend
> Start mythtv-setup
> Create in capture cards an IPTV entry with the URL to the HLS playlist as
> mentioned in the guide
> Create a Source that does nothing
> Assign the capture card to the source, then scan for channels.
>
> Quit mythtv-setup, restart mythbackend
>
> That's it...
Just to be sure, I deleted the capture card and source and started
over.  Created a capture card of type network recorder with your URL,
created a source with no grabber, assigned the source to the input and
scanned.  Same result.

>> --I accidentally discovered that if I kill the mythbackend daemon and restart it under my own ID  (instead of mythtv), I can access one of these channels (whichever one I pick).  However, if I then select another, it times out.  Thereafter, they all appear in light blue and inaccessible just as above.
> Winds like you haven't finish mythtv-setup and created or assigned the
> right playback group. You need to set at least a default where the
> recordings will be stored. That too is described in the general mythtv
> manual.
> When you quit mythtv-setup you would have got a message telling you things
> aren't completed and asking if you want to quit "if you know what you are
> doing"

I just confirmed that my default storage group is set to
/var/lib/mythtv/recordings.  No other groups are defined.  I'm having no
issue recording from my other sources (HD HomeRun tuners with Schedules
Direct), which I have been doing for a couple years.