[mythtv-users] Cluebat request by n00b: initial config ceton infinitv eth 6

tb at purple-people.org tb at purple-people.org
Sun Jul 28 17:18:20 UTC 2013

> [...]
>> TiVo.

>>> 5).
>> I did this, there was a couple of items on a second screen that were
>> mildly surprising - unmentioned above - and left at default.

>> I have no Windows in the house.

>> I went to get an SD account, I added a lineup I believe to be the
>> correct
>> one, the "show the data page had some channels/callsigns I recognised.
>>
>> I haven't been packet sniffing to confirm but there was a pause of a few
>> seconds when the "fetch channels" button was pressed and there were no
>> error dialogs.  There's a drop list with some default "Please choose a
>> channel" text in it, which has no other option even after fetching
>> channels.
>>
>> Then there was a menu entry for input matching were I associated the
>> tuner(s) with the SD account.
>>
>> As soon as I try and exit there's a dialog about "Please choose a
>> channel"
>> is a sucky choice, are you sure?  At which point I chicken out and
>> remove
>> the sources/tuners.

>> So I don't get to this bit.

>> I understand the screwup possibility, and admit I might have too in some
>> hopefully minor details.  I ask forbearance of my complete lack of
>> familiarity in this first foray into Mythdom.
>>
>> Would anyone have a pointer (towards easily digestible info ?) that
>> would
>> help me start debug?
>>
>> The only information I can immediately think of as useful is a version,
>> this is what comes to hand:
>>
>> root at mythtv:~# cat /etc/issue
>> Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS \n \l
>>
>> root at mythtv:~# mythbackend --version
>> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>> MythTV Version : v0.25.2-15-g46cab93
>> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
>> Network Protocol : 72
>> Library API : 0.25.20120506-1
>> QT Version : 4.8.1
>> Options compiled in:
>>  linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
>> using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
>> using_bindings_python
>> using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire
>> using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr using_iptv
>> using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto
>> using_libdns_sd using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
>> using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_v4l2 using_x11
>> using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
>> using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi
>> using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg using_libass
>> using_libxml2
>> root at mythtv:~#
>>
>> Thanks for your time in reading this far and any help you might give.

> I suggest you upgrade to mythtv 0.26. That is the current version. 0.27
> is available as an alpha version so you may want to wait before

In the meantime I've been looking around more, trying to get a little more
information.  I've been disappointed by the last week or so of reports
from Windows users who've been running into non trivial issues with the
unit I have, which doesn't fill me with confidence.

I upgraded to .27 but ran into instability which confused things further.
So I blew away the VM and started from scratch then upgraded to .26 which
is where it currently sits.  I reconfigured the 6 tuners, I connected to
the Schedules Direct source and each tuner has the same input priority (0)
but opposing schedule/live TV order. I think this means that concurrent
recordings will consume tuners from one end of the tuner list, while front
end Live TV requests will work from the other.

The front end will now throw up appropriate schedule information when Live
TV is selected but no video is displayed.  Scheduled and manual recordings
are accepted, but only 0 length files are produced.  The Ceton device's
web page shows _some_ field changes but WMDRM is always labeled "red" and
while the tuner tab shows a frequency change, the channel is always
reported as one, regardless of the channel selected in the frontend's osd.
 Scheduled recording, manual, or based on what looks like the right
schedule in the program guide, causes activity at appropriate start times,
but things don't seem to get captured and the tuner status web page
doesn't seem correct, a 192.168.200.X destination address for instance.
I'm really just monkeying around with the components and looking for what
kinds of things change without being able to make sense of what should be
happening.

I think I can see glimpses of errors in the backend long but I really
don't know.  I put some of the backend log up at:
http://pastebin.com/tHRzUB66

I still don't feel confident that I'm making best progress but it seems
I'm muddling in the right kind of direction.  I think that choosing this
device for use in a Linux only environment was a mistake though.