[mythtv-users] Chromebox as frontend?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 07:20:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Rob Jensen <bertaboy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > How would the video performance of the ION2 and the HD3000 stack up
> > against an AMD E-450 w/ the HD6320?  Over my years of using myth &
> > linux, I know that nVidia has traditionally been the darling, but have
> > there been enough improvement in VAAPI where an AMD solution is a
> > viable low-energy frontend?  All of the documentation and discussions
> > I've seen tend to come from 2011 and a lot can change over two years.
>
> A lot of promises, and ship dates, have changed.  ATI / AMD have
> made progress, but as of now, there are only anecdotal reports of
> using the newest ATI drivers (released just a few months ago) to
> do hardware decoding (UVD).  btw, UVD is being exposed over
> VDPAU, not VAAPI.  Some of the reports I saw indicated that some
> VDPAU supporting applications invoked options/features that the
> ATI driver did not like (MythTV and XBMC apps were mentioned).
> That is not entirely surprising, since all the code had been written
> for nVidia, and the codes likely made assumptions about capabilities.
> So, AMD is still a work in progress.  I also presume that your
> patches to better support UVD in MythTV would be welcomed by
> the developers.

One of the XBMC developers (fritsch) has been trying to get better AMD/ATi
graphics performance for a while He is on the point of giving up, see for
example

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=169873&pid=1471482#pid1471482

Also don't forget, if you want to watch bluray rips, you won't get HD audio
out of AMD devices on linux, so DTS-core is best you will get on DTS-HD
rips and you won't get TrueHD at all.

All in all, I think AMD is probably the worst choice for a linux HTPC.
Intel is making good progress. nVidia still rulez.