[mythtv-users] Going Virtual and upgrading tuners

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 17:51:51 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds good to me. A VM is a great way to run your BE, much easier to
> deal with than learning arcane chroot or other types containers.

If one has a hammer, everything looks like a nail.  VMs are not
any more of a panacea than are jails or containers or different
physical machines, or anything else.  All are tools to accomplish
a particular goal.  One should not use any tool just because one
has it available, or it is the thing you just bought (or now think
you understand).  Often more than one tool is capable of
accomplishing the stated goals, and one should choose the
tool that is best for you.

As an aside, there is also value in stretching your knowledge
to understand those other tools rather than dismissing them
because one thinks of them as arcane.  Most tools exist
because the do something better than other tools for the
particular goal.  That is true whether you are a woodworker,
or a system administrator.

Gary