[mythtv-users] Going Virtual and upgrading tuners

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Jul 31 19:11:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:41:05PM -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 7/30/2013 2:22 PM, Larry Roberts wrote:
> >Now back to the religous war...
>
> Don't get me wrong.  I've got nothing explicitly against virtual
> machines.  As Gary Buhrmaster said, they're just another tool in the
> box, and there are some good reasons to use virtual machines.  The
> issue is just that none of them apply to the typical home user, or
> even the typical MythTV user (enterprise grade gear and multiple OSs

    The idea of "enterprise grade gear" is a pretty academic distinction
at this point and has been for quite awhile. It's an arbitrary line that
keeps on getting moved as tech improves and yesterday's "enterprise"
grade server becomes today's wrist watch.

    If the VP of Linux somewhere likes VMs for some particular reason,
chances are that people outside of the Fortune 100 are going to like
them for similar reasons.

[deletia]

    There are no "typical home users here". If anyone is in a position to
make informed decisions about what they want to do then it's a bunch of
Linux users.