[mythtv-users] HLS take advantage of GPU?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sat Jun 1 23:20:56 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-01, at 1:14 AM, Chris Finley <debenbain at gmail.com> wrote:

> All this talk about new hardware and CPU has me thinking about an
> upgrade to the backend.
> Does anyone have HLS to a tablet working well - under what conditions?

I do a lot of HLS watching through myth. I found I had to drop the quality way down to get realtime encoding or just preencode the whole show and watch when the encoding job is done. For me quality is more important so I went the preencode route. I was encoding to 720x480 at 1300 kbits and got around 15fps on a 2.7 core 2 duo so encoding would take about twice as long as the show ran. Recently I moved to a quad core i7 and it's 3x to 4x faster for the same quality. It's a real screamer. Since you're looking for an excuse to upgrade your myth box like I was...

- George