[mythtv-users] How much is too much CPU?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Mon Jun 3 23:14:24 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-03, at 5:50 PM, Chris Finley <debenbain at gmail.com> wrote:

> It doesn't sound like an i7 would be able to handle 3 HLS simultaneous clients?

It depends on the resolution and bitrate you're using. I do 480p at 1,300 kbits on an i7 3770 and the processor barely notices. On tablet screens DVD res and that bitrate gives a great picture. I haven't tried 3 clients but that shouldn't be much trouble.

> Does HLS require transcoding?

No, but it does require h.264. If your material is already in a res/rate that your device supports then...

> Is there an option to slice up the video
> into chunks for streaming without transcoding? Is this even possible?

Apple has an open source utility that will segment existing videos but that's moving outside of what myth does. You'd have to develop your own http server that takes myth program IDs, finds the file, does all the segmenting, and serves up the resulting files. It's doable but I doubt it's worth the trouble.

On a local LAN with tons of bandwidth and material that's already in the right format for your device I'd just dump it directly to your player without transcoding.

- George