[mythtv-users] Raspberry PI as backend slave or tvheadend as tuner ?

Doug Scoular (dscoular) dscoular at cisco.com
Wed Jun 5 11:40:55 UTC 2013

Hi Michael,

On 5/06/13 4:46 PM, "mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org"
<mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org> wrote:

>Could try upgrading the Aerial (or adding a Mast Head amplifier to the
>existing aerial to obtain better signal quality.
>Another option, rather than use a Raspbery Pi, purchase a Core2 Shand
>System, there are plenty of low cost HP SFF Desktops available on ebay
>that work excellently as a sbe. If configured to shutdown when not in
>use, it wont cost you a fortune in power.

	I already have a mast head amplifier and a heavily researched brand new
aerial and quad shielded co-ax. The signal is still very marginal.
Splitting or adding yet another amplifier just aren't options.

	Also, I'd really like to do this without spending any more money (I'm
Scottish)Š and since I have a spare Raspberry Pi and aerial I thought I
might be in with a chance.

	I think the only problem suggested, thus far, is the throughput of the
Raspberry Pi's USB subsystem. Since USB 2.0 is supposed to push 480Mbps
(60MBps). Most of the channels I record are Standard Definition (SD) but
even considering a High Definition (HD) stream my highest ever rate
(according to the system status screen) is 15006kbps which equates to
9.8Mbps; so I'm hopeful it could read the data from the DVB-T PlayTV via
USB and write the stream to the NFS share via the Raspberry Pi's USB based
ethernet and still have some USB headroom.

	I guess I'll just have to suck it and seeŠ unless anyone has tried it
already and knows better.

	Cheers,

	Doug