[mythtv-users] Raspberry PI as backend slave or tvheadend

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 14:26:30 UTC 2013

> 1. Would a Raspberry Pi be a reasonable platform to consider for a mythtv
> slave backend ?,

I say yes, because I'm already using something similar for my Myth
master BE: a Sheevaplug with a ~1GHz ARM CPU and 512MB RAM.
Reschedules take a while, but I don't think you'll have that issue
when using it as a slave BE.

So I'm assuming this PlayTV tuner is a USB device and your storage is
on the network? So essentially all the Pi is doing is acting as a USB
-> NFS converter? That's not especially heavy duty, just shoveling
bits from one interface to another.

As someone already mentioned though, the Pi's NIC is on the shared USB
bus so you may have I/O issues recording multiple HD streams. Dunno if
this has been tested or not. In my case, I do the opposite: record two
streams from a SiliconDust HDHomerun and record them to a USB hard
drive. No problems here, but my Sheeva doesn't put it's NIC on the USB
bus.