[mythtv-users] Hello after long absence - looking to build very small Myth setup.

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jun 7 20:57:55 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 01:26:15PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I've resubscribed to mythtv-users after a long (3 year?) absence. I
> ran MythTV for years, then ended up on DirecTV with no real interest
> in trying to make Myth do what their $5/month DVR did. However we sold
> the house and I'm currently using a Mohu Leaf for OTA HDTV so I
> thought I might check out what my options are for a low cost modest
> front-end/back-end combo machine.
>
>    Please note at the outset: We're living in an apartment for the
> next 6-8 months while we look for a house to buy in a more southern
> portion of California. Space is at a premium here so I'm curious about
> building a _very_ small machine that can record no more than 2
> programs at a time and doesn't need to play back more than 1 at a
> time. I'd like to find something _very_ small, like Roku sized if
> possible, but reading through the MythTV site I seem to see a lot fo

    I don't know about that. A hard drive is going to be larger than a Roku.
Some things just take up space. Storage is one of them. You might want to
consider something a little less extreme like a cube/shoebox system. It's
not quite so large and it will have plenty of room for interesting options
like an aftermarket video card.

[deletia]