[mythtv-users] Frontend problem on new Macbook Air

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Sat Jun 15 18:32:16 UTC 2013

I have been using Mythtv with a Backend Setup on an Ubuntu server and
front end on Debian Sid for a long time now.  All works well

Today I purchased by first mac ever - one of the new Macbook Airs just
announced  - so I hope I did the right thing in installation and
starting the app.  I downloaded the 0.26 dmg file for mythtv-frontend,
opened it and dragged the front end icon into the applications folder.

I started up the app bypassing security and it asked me for the name of
backend and logon details for the database.  These I entered correctly (
I know because when I first got them wrong it told me it couldn't
connect to the backend). There was a next button to go to the next page
- (I assume it was page 2 of database configuration - I didn't pay much
attention), but then only the finish option (unlike the linux version
which has many more pages).

But then the application fails to do anything.  I essentially have a
blank screen (with the slight brown tinge that is in the default theme).

If I start up the app monitor and force quit the frontend (ordinary quit
is ignored), I briefly see the default theme section icons at the bottom
of the screen before the application quits in response to the force quit.

If I start the frontend again, it no longer takes me through setup, so I
just have a completely blank screen, and no way I can see of accessing
any menu.  I am forced to use the App Monitor to kill it.

Is there a problem with Mountain Lion (the version of OSX I have), or is
there something else that a newbie to the Mac should know about setting
up Mythtv.