[mythtv-users] Help getting SPDIF optical out to work

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Fri Jun 21 16:58:16 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 18 June 2013 12:43, John Nissley <jnissley at nissley.org> wrote:
> >> card 1: ICE1724 [ICEnsemble ICE1724], device 1: ICE1724 IEC958 [ICE1724
>
> > I did try what you mentioned prior to sending the email but if I did not
> > tell you that than how would you know.  I forgot to mention that the HDMI
> > output does work but I have the HDMI going to my TV for video and I
> really
> > want the digital sound going to my stereo. I am using the DVI output on
> > my motherboard with a DVI to HDMI converter to get the video into the TV.
> > I was really hoping to force the audio out of the digital SPDIF out on my
> > motherboard.  I even purchased another sound card just to rule out any
> > hardware malfunction and still nothing. I even placed some recommended
> > lines in my /etc/asound.conf file which I never needed before but I
> > figured I had nothing to loose.  I think I just need to find a way to
> > force the sound out of the port I want instead of letting linux decide
> > the one I want.
>
> did you run alsamixer and toggle the mute button on and off ? unless
> you do that, the output is muted by default for some reasons.
>
> BTW, if your motherboard has both HDMI and DVI output, usually, you
> can get audio from the DVI output too as it pass exactly the same
> signal as the hdmi port, only the physical connector is different.
>
> you don't need to modify /etc/asound.conf

This may not be the case for you, but I got tripped up last night when I
rebooted into kernel 3.8 for the first time. I discovered the alsa crew
"fixed" some longstanding conflict on systems that have both SPDIF and HDMI
(to the detriment of the less-frequently-used SPDIF). I haven't fully
explored a long-term solution yet but reverting to kernel 3.7 made my SPDIF
sound work again for now.

Karl