[mythtv-users] help: i can't record tv after upgrade to ubuntu-13.04/mythtv-0.26

raf mythtv at raf.org
Thu Jun 27 02:03:06 UTC 2013

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 06/26/2013 07:32 PM, raf wrote:
> >
> >i use the mythtv that comes with ubuntu and just upgraded from
> >ubuntu-12.10/mythtv-0.25 to ubuntu-13.04/mythtv-0.26
> >(specifically 2:0.26.0+fixes.20121118.340b5d4-0ubuntu1).
> >
> >anyway, the initial upgrade was a disaster. it looked like the
> >mythconverg schema was upgraded by mythtv-setup but nothing worked
> >because mythbackend also thought it needed to upgrade the schema
> >but thought it wasn't "allowed" to do so it would terminate immediately.
> >
> >i reloaded the backup and started again and it seems slightly better.
> >possibly because i ran mythtv-setup as the mythtv user this time
> >rather than just running mythfrontend with my own user account.
> >it still forgot everything about my tv tuners and video and music
> >directories and all of my recording instructions but that would be
> >ok if it weren't for the remaining problems.
> >
> >i would really appreciate any suggestions to remedy the following
> >problems:
> >
> >1) mythfrontend can't terminate. when i try, it asks if i really want
> >to. i tell it yes and then it just sits there until i kill the
> >process some other way. the last thing it writes to its log file
> >before hanging is:
> >
> >   I CoreContext bonjourregister.cpp:26 (~BonjourRegister)
> >   Bonjour: De-registering service '_airplay._tcp.' on 'MythTV on HOSTNAME'
> >
> >is there any way i can tell it not to register/de-register this service?
> >or to make it able to de-register the service. i'm not using this
> >service.
> >
> >2) i am unable to create any recording instructions in mythfrontend
> >using the programme guide. when i try, i go through the motions and
> >there are no error indications but when complete, there is no visual
> >indication that the programme will be recorded and when i go back
> >in to check the recording status of the programme in question, it
> >says it will not be recorded.
> >
> >the messages that appear in the logfile when i try to record a programme
> >look like:
> >
> >mythbackend.log:
> >  E CoreContext mythsocket.cpp:520 (readStringList)
> >    MythSocket(8c08298:60): readStringList: Error, timed out after 30000 ms.
> >  E CoreContext mainserver.cpp:6184 (reconnectTimeout)
> >    MainServer: Failed to open master server socket, timeout
> >  I ProcessRequest mainserver.cpp:1445 (HandleAnnounce)
> >    adding: HOSTNAME as a slave backend server
> >  W ProcessRequest mainserver.cpp:5841 (connectionClosed)
> >    MainServer: Unknown socket closing MythSocket(0x8c08298)
> >  E ProcessRequest mythsocket.cpp:344 (writeStringList)
> >    MythSocket(8c08298:-1): writeStringList: Error, socket went
> >    unconnected.#012#011#011#011We wrote 0 of 10 bytes
> >    with 1 errors#012#011#011#011starts with: 2       OK
> >  N CoreContext mainserver.cpp:6129 (reconnectTimeout)
> >    Connecting to master server: 10.0.0.1:6543
> >  N CoreContext mainserver.cpp:6147 (reconnectTimeout)
> >    Connected successfully

> [...]

thanks but unfortunately that doesn't fix either problem.

the config.xml file does indeed have a line that says:

  <LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>

i assume by "unique identifier" it means the fqdn so i put that in
and rebooted. i wonder why ubuntu's upgrade procedure chose not to
so that for itself.

i probably should have mentioned that in the log messages i had
redacted the fqdn with "HOSTNAME".

anyway, both problems are still present and i'm still getting
the readStringList/writeStringList error logs in mythbackend.log
and the Protocol version check failure error logs in mythfrontend.log.

and i still can't terminate mythfrontend easily or create recording
instructions.

any other suggestions?

thanks in advance,
raf