[mythtv-users] What do I need to get UK Freesat Channels In Mythtv and EIT Data?

Paul Wootton pwootton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 00:28:02 UTC 2013

On 3 Mar 2013, at 18:51, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm using the TBS6891; it's a dual tuner PCI card.  I'm running 12.04 LTS
>> for which it does need the drivers compiled.  It's a pretty painless to do
>> (I have a small shell script to do it) and I can rebuild the drivers in ~20
>> minutes after a new release of the kernel.
>

> Can you confirm the model number?  I have found a TBS6981 DVB-S2 Dual
> Tuner PCIe Card?
>
> When it says a PCIe card does this mean PCIe x1 - the really small
> connector as I already have a graphics card in my other larger PCIe
> slot?
>
> How reliable are you finding the TBS brand?
>
> TIA

I can confirm it's a TBS 6981; all I know about the PCIe bit is that it fitted on a spare slot on the motherboard.  My backend is not easily accessible; if  get a chance in the next day or so I'll drag it out of its cupboard and have a look.  It does seem to be the really small connector  (see the picture at http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6981-dvb-s2-dual-tuner-pcie-card.html).   Are you using one of the hp microservers by any chance - I can confirm it does fit in one of those once you put the low profile bracket on.

The biggest problem I had with it initially was the adapter number shifting around when I rebooted; fixed with an appropriate entry in options.conf to fix them to 4 and 5.   Otherwise it's been pretty reliable; i've had it for ~18 months.

> cat /etc/modprobe.d/options.conf
# PCI290e
options em28xx disable_ir=1
options em28xx_dvb adapter_nr=8
# Enable DiB0700 Low Noise Amps, set hauppage device numbers
options dvb-usb-dib0700 force_lna_activation=1 adapter_nr=2,3
# Disable DVB remote(s)
options dvb-usb disable_rc_polling=1
# Set adapter number, tbs satellite adapter numbers
options cx23885 adapter_nr=4,5
# Disable usb sleep
options usbcore autosuspend=-1
# Kworld adapter numbers