[mythtv-users] MythTV Android Frontend 1.10.0 Released

Daniel Frey dmfrey at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 20:44:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

>  The latest version was released this morning.
>>>
>>> Thanks to all the MythTV users who helped with the testing on
>>> the 1.0.4 release.
>>>
>>> The Release Notes (with a list of changes and bug fixes) are here:
>>>
>>>     https://github.com/MythTV-**Clients/MythTV-Android-**
>>> Frontend/wiki/1.10.0-Release-**Notes<https://github.com/MythTV-Clients/MythTV-Android-Frontend/wiki/1.10.0-Release-Notes>
>>>
>>> Initial reports show that users running Android releases below Honeycomb
>>> (3.1) will see a "NoSuchMethodError". The fix has already been committed.
>>> Retesting is in progress.
>>

>> I was super excited to see the non-HLS capabilities added, however I
>> realized now that all of my h264 content is stored as videos rather than
>> recordings, and my phone doesn't really care for MPEG2.
>>
>> Is there any estimate as to when video playback will be added?
>>
>> Also, I have several videos that I merged into the recordings database,
>> to backfill missing episodes;  they play fine from the regular frontend,
>> but I get mixed results on the android frontend... some media players will
>> play some files (usually without audio), some players will fail (bs player
>> always fails), and sometimes a player will work for one 'recording' and not
>> another.  I wonder if the imported recording file names contain illegal
>> characters?
>>
>> Thanks for all your effort on this!
>>

> Sorry for replying to myself, but I thought I would try other players and
> stumbled upon VLC for Android (
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc.betav7neon).
>  Of course it's not available in the US, so I had to download it from
> http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/ and install it as an untrusted
> application... but it works great when playing without HLS.
>
> It plays MPEG2 content well, it skips a ton of frames but it keeps audio
> and video in sync so it's watchable (tried watching Hockey, it was rough
> but ok) and it starts playing almost instantly.
>
> My only complaints are that there is no ability to skip around in MPEG2
> video, and it doesn't seem to work with HLS.  Considering that many of the
> players have the same problems, if I could even get them to play something
> watchable... I can live with it.
>
> Makes me think that VLC might be a good codebase to pull from if the
> frontend app is going to get a built in player?

Joseph.

Also in this release, you can now pre-hls transcode your recordings.  In
doing so, you can kick off a job and let it complete to 100% without
watching it right then and there.  You can start watching it whenever you
want so long as at least 2% have completed.  But with the pre-transcoding,
you can now seek back and forth in the stream.  I am not sure if all
players support it or not, but I know DicePlayer does and seems to remember
where you were in the stream as well (not our doing).  That may solve your
issue, albeit through a bit of a work around.

Dan

--
My Google Profile <http://www.google.com/profiles/dmfrey>