[mythtv-users] MythTV Android Frontend 1.10.0 Released

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 23:21:11 UTC 2013

Sorry for replying to myself, but I thought I would try other players and
> stumbled upon VLC for Android (
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc.betav7neon).
>  Of course it's not available in the US, so I had to download it from
> http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/ and install it as an untrusted
> application... but it works great when playing without HLS.
>
> It plays MPEG2 content well, it skips a ton of frames but it keeps audio
> and video in sync so it's watchable (tried watching Hockey, it was rough
> but ok) and it starts playing almost instantly.
>
> My only complaints are that there is no ability to skip around in MPEG2
> video, and it doesn't seem to work with HLS.  Considering that many of the
> players have the same problems, if I could even get them to play something
> watchable... I can live with it.

I've been playing my DVB-T MPEG2 recordings back with Dice Player. This
seems to work really well and it's skipping backwards and forwards
properly. I've set the skip increment in Dice Player to 20 seconds (think
the default was 5 seconds) and it's all working well.