[mythtv-users] Android stick, HDMI interface, claims to do 1080p, $36

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Mar 7 14:42:22 UTC 2013

>> You had me excited... then I realized they all use AMD GPU's... damn!
>>

> Sorry :-)
>
> Seriously does that cause a problem? Apologies for my naievvety, I looked
> into what to use some years ago and ended up with Atom/ION Revo's and
> havent had the need to buy anything since.
>

> I kinda figured that if it can run Openelec/XBMC and play 1080p HD content
> then it would be fine for MythTV also

There are no decent drivers/api to get accelerated video decoding on AMD
GPU's in Linux.  Coupled with an Atom CPU that is to slow for HD decoding,
and your stuck with a box that won't play modern content (when running
Linux).  These devices would be fine in Windows, which is what they were
intended for.

Now, perhaps one could use a Windows compile of the frontend on one of
these, but most of us don't choose that route except as a novelty as
Windows builds are less stable and have limited support available.  If only
AMD would get off the asses and write a decent driver/API ?