[mythtv-users] ext4 mkfs largefile4 option

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Mar 7 16:00:13 UTC 2013

> On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 07:52:09 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> On 03/07/2013 02:07 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>>
>>> The recommended filesystem for a recordings partition is JFS or XFS:
>>>
>>>     http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html
>>>     (search for "Filesystems")
>>>
>>> I use JFS on my 3 Tbyte drives and am very happy with it.
>>>
>> but has the documentation been updated to reflect the fact that ext4 is
>> available? I am currently using xfs, but the bench marks seem comparable:
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ext4_benchmarks&num=2
>
> No, the documentation does not appear to have been updated to
> recognise the existence of ext4.  But the major problem with ext
> filesystems and MythTV is with the time taken to do file deletes of
> large files.  I do not think that has changed in ext4 - the benchmarks
> on that page you refer to shows that.

I don't see any benchmark related to file deletion on that article, and
in fact deletion of large files is a fairly atypical usage pattern.
Mythbuntu has defaulted to EXT4 for several years now, and I've not
heard any problems of people having to enable the 'slow deletes' option
in MythTV intended for EXT2/3.