[mythtv-users] mythlogserver multiple copies high cpu

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 8 03:56:39 UTC 2013

On 03/07/2013 07:21 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> If you grep the logs, (say for "bin/mythlogserver"), you ought to find
> several instances of mythlogserver being started while you were at
> dinner.  Maybe they are all in your mythbackend log, but they could
> also be in the logs of any other program that ran in that period:
> mythcommflag (?), mythtranscode, mythpreviewgen, etc.

And, TTBOMK, this--coupled with a system misconfiguration--is generally
how/why you end up with multiple instances of mythlogserver, and when
you get multiple instances, you'll always get high CPU usage.

My understanding is that on a distro where you run different MythTV
processes as different users, eventually, a user without proper write
permissions on one or more of the directories where mythlogserver
attempts to write log files will start mythlogserver.  Then, it
basically "breaks" (or locks or ...), and eventually some other process
starts another copy (and the cycle may repeat).  You can either fix your
file system permissions so that all users running all MythTV processes
have write permission on all directories where you're logging, or use
the same system user to run all MythTV processes, or use syslog logging.

Mike