[mythtv-users] Tuning DVB-S problems - scans too quickly

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sun Mar 10 13:30:29 UTC 2013

On 10.03.2013 08:31, mythtv . wrote:
> I have put the mythtv packages of the pi forums onto my Raspberry Pi and
> now have it running and recognising my master backend. I am now trying
> to tune DVB-S via my Tevii S660 on there.
>
> I know the Tevii works as I have had it running with tvheadend fine and
> I have copied the firmware onto the pi and the logs are showing it
> loaded and mythv recognises everything as expected.
>
> The only problem is that when I go to tune from a known multiplex the
> signal strengths flicks up and down rapidly and the tuning appears to
> fly through remarkably fast...faster than I have ever known and faster
> than normal by a factor of 10-100. It would be good if it could work
> this fast :-)

Can we see the log file please? I'm expecting something about
mythtv-setup requesting auto-detection of a transmission parameter that
your device/driver is not able to auto detect. That leads to very quick
round-trips with some "unsupported parameter" instead of actual tuning.

> I have not changed the defaults but have never had a problem before so
> this is something in this particular setup. now I realise that I am
> using unofficial mythtv packages so it could even be in this particular
>   build itself but before I start chasing my tail, has anyone seen this
> sort of behaviour before or any hints on where to start. Extending the
> timeouts doesnt seem to have any effect.

Above you said *this* tuner device works with tvheadend. Have you ever
used *this* tuner device with mythtv? Maybe the device you used with
mythtv in the past does support auto detection of more parameters and
thus "just worked" without manually specifying any parameters.
Try to manually specify the parameters that are referred as unsupported
for auto detection in the log file.

Regards,
Karl

PS: I think that running DVB-S2 in and out to disk/net over a single
USB-Port is a waste of time. Better directly get a DVB-S2 networked
device and run an ethernet cable to the device/dish.
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S2_Networked_Devices
Sadly the linuxtv device lists don't seem to be well maintained in that
area. Maybe someone who researches available options can update the
articles.