[mythtv-users] Tuning DVB-S problems - scans too quickly

mythtv . mythtv at harley-jones.co.uk
Sun Mar 10 13:57:01 UTC 2013

On 10 March 2013 13:30, Karl Dietz <dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org> wrote:

> On 10.03.2013 08:31, mythtv . wrote:
>
>> I have put the mythtv packages of the pi forums onto my Raspberry Pi and
>> now have it running and recognising my master backend. I am now trying
>> to tune DVB-S via my Tevii S660 on there.
>>
>> I know the Tevii works as I have had it running with tvheadend fine and
>> I have copied the firmware onto the pi and the logs are showing it
>> loaded and mythv recognises everything as expected.
>>
>> The only problem is that when I go to tune from a known multiplex the
>> signal strengths flicks up and down rapidly and the tuning appears to
>> fly through remarkably fast...faster than I have ever known and faster
>> than normal by a factor of 10-100. It would be good if it could work
>> this fast :-)
>>

> Can we see the log file please? I'm expecting something about
> mythtv-setup requesting auto-detection of a transmission parameter that
> your device/driver is not able to auto detect. That leads to very quick
> round-trips with some "unsupported parameter" instead of actual tuning.
>

>  I have not changed the defaults but have never had a problem before so
>> this is something in this particular setup. now I realise that I am
>> using unofficial mythtv packages so it could even be in this particular
>>   build itself but before I start chasing my tail, has anyone seen this
>> sort of behaviour before or any hints on where to start. Extending the
>> timeouts doesnt seem to have any effect.
>>

> Above you said *this* tuner device works with tvheadend. Have you ever
> used *this* tuner device with mythtv? Maybe the device you used with
> mythtv in the past does support auto detection of more parameters and
> thus "just worked" without manually specifying any parameters.
> Try to manually specify the parameters that are referred as unsupported
> for auto detection in the log file.
>
> Regards,
> Karl
>
> PS: I think that running DVB-S2 in and out to disk/net over a single
> USB-Port is a waste of time. Better directly get a DVB-S2 networked
> device and run an ethernet cable to the device/dish.
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/**index.php/DVB-S2_Networked_**Devices<http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S2_Networked_Devices>
> Sadly the linuxtv device lists don't seem to be well maintained in that
> area. Maybe someone who researches available options can update the
> articles.

Karl,

Thanks, when I get a few minutes to fire it up again I will grab the logs.

Take your point about DVB-S2. Currently I'm just sticking to DVB-S. S2 was
a bit choppy on tvheadend and I figured for that very reason. I have
actually ordered a MOI but currently they are using tvheadend on it.
Therefore either if MythTV could talk directly to it or I could get MythTV
to run on it I can do what I want. SO I do figure if I can get the pi
working then the MOI is a later ARM device so theory states it *should* be
possible!

Thanks again

Martin