[mythtv-users] Have to start shows twice -- database problem???

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 10 22:59:03 UTC 2013

On 03/09/2013 01:17 AM, Allen Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 02/27/2013 12:18 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
>>> I have done some things and so far no problems with Myth having to double
>>> start or losing its place.  I thank everyone who offered suggestions as
>>> this led to what I did.  Hopefully this situation will hold but I wanted to
>>> document what I did.
>>>
>>> 1) Removed years of recording rules for shows that are no longer on the
>>> air as well as duplicate rules that were entered to change record daily to
>>> record weekly and things like that.  We have never done this.  This removed
>>> probably 75% of the rules.  I did this from MythWeb
>> You probably had a severely slow scheduler query run, which resulted in
>> timeouts.
>>
>> To speed up the scheduler query you can:
>>
>> a) Remove no-longer-necessary recording rules (in mythfrontend Manage
>> Recordings|Recording Rules--or in 0.21, you use Recording Priority)
>> b) Remove recording history (in mythfrontend Manage Recordings|Previously
>> Recorded)
>> c) Remove channels (in mythtv-setup channel editor and, probably, in your
>> listings grabber's configuration)
>> d) Fix your mysql configuration
>>
>> You did a), and that likely fixed the issue.  Note that I'm not saying
>> your MySQL configuration is broken--though an Athlon X2 5400 should be able
>> to handle MySQL pretty well--as I have no clue how many recording rules,
>> recorded history, and channels (and, therefore, programs) you have (and
>> note that the same channel on 2 different Video Sources is actually 2
>> channels), so it's possible you really did have too many for your processor
>> to handle.
> Thanks Mike,  We have not had a problem since making the changes so it
> seems to be stable.  I probably removed 80% of the recording rules.  One
> show had about 12 rules to record it.  I have no idea how that happened.

Yeah, it's good to clean out your "scheduler stuff" every once in a
while.  I am pretty obsessive about keeping my recording rules to the
minimum (but I never clean out recording history).  Every season I have
my system record all new series (except reality TV), just in case I
decide to watch them, and I'll go through at least 2-3 times per season,
plus after the season ends, to delete the recording rules for any
cancelled shows.

David E (the scheduler expert) takes it a step farther--he goes through
and deletes recording history for any shows he finishes
recording/watching (i.e. when he deletes the recording rule).  I haven't
seen any issues (and still have scheduler run times of less than 2s)
even with 18K shows in my history.  So, make your own call on whether
it's worthwhile to clean out any more.  When it comes down to it,
though, the most important part is that things work properly, so as long
as you're not seeing issues.

Mike