[mythtv-users] Soundgraph VFD borked after upgrading Ubuntu

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 03:49:38 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Jos Hoekstra <joshoekstra at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi all, recently I decided to upgrade my frontend with and SSD to speed up
> bootup and silence it a bit more.
> After this update something changed in I guess the kernel since after that
> I get symptoms which look like the up-arrow is constantly pressed on a
> keyboard. I was able to determine it was the VFD that's causing these
> symptoms, however I don't know how to get rid of it.
> When I boot back in the old system which was Ubuntu 12.04 with kernel
> 3.2.something  everything is ok.
> I cannot get that kernel installed in Ubuntu 12.10 and everything that's
> 3.4 or higher seems to cause these problems.
>
> Did anyone with this VFD experience the same problems? If so, how did you
> get them solved?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jos

I don't know which SoundGraph model you have, and unfortunately there are
several different models, some of which share the same USB ID (15c2:ffdc),
but the driver uses different, incompatible methods for driving the
different displays. There is a module called 'imon' (kernel config symbol
ir_imon) which has a parameter called display_type which I had to set to 1
in order for the VFD to work. The default autodetect (0) didn't work for
me. Check your distribution documentation for how to configure module
parameters.

Karl