[mythtv-users] 0.26-fixes: HDHR no longer recording?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 12 16:44:36 UTC 2013

On 03/12/2013 11:41 AM, Michael Stucky wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 03/08/2013 10:32 AM, Michael Stucky wrote:
>>> So how should my logging be setup for MythTV logging? Mythbuntu, by
>>> default, starts mythlogserver and mythbackend as follows:
>   I should have worded that differently, I don't believe that Ubuntu starts
> mythlogserver. I should have said "on my Mythbuntu BE (where I have not
> changed the default startup) the following processes are are running:
>>> /usr/bin/mythlogserver --daemon --verbose general --loglevel info
>>> --syslog local7
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/mythbackend --syslog local7 --user mythtv
>> Using syslog logging for "normal" day-to-day logging is fine--especially
>> if that's the way your distro sets it up.  I was just asking that when
>> submitting logs for others to read to help diagnose issues that they be
>> created using MythTV logging.
>>
>> That said, does Ubuntu really start mythlogserver?  If so, does it have
>> some monitoring thing restart it (like upstart or whatever)?  If so, this
>> is probably why so many users are getting so many duplicate mythlogserver
>> instances.  TTBOMK, unless something has changed, mythlogserver shouldn't
>> be started by the user since it's started automatically by MythTV
>> applications.
> To clarify, I have never had any issues with duplicate mythlogserver
> instances. I believe that the mythbackend is starting the running instance
> of mythlogserver as it should.

Ah, good.  You had me a bit worried.  Thanks for clarifying.

>   And I understand that, as long as I am not
> having problems, the default logging is fine. But is there a better way to
> setup logging so that when I do have a problem I don't have to go search
> list archives or wiki pages or Google to reconfigure logging so I can get
> help? Or would that produce too much logging and therefore large log files
> and/or log files that are rolled too often?

You can switch your system to use MythTV's direct logging output,
instead.  Just remove --syslog 7 from the start line for (all) MythTV
programs and use --logpath /path/to/directory and set up some sort of
log rotation to handle the files.  You'll have many more files, but the
same total log output--it's just separated out per process (i.e. so that
you don't have all your mythpreviewgen logs commingled together with
lines from different runs interleaved together, making things hard to read).

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Log_Rotation_Configuration_Files
(likely you'll want:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logrotate_-_all_applications )

Mike